Never baked before... never fear! This class is the perfect introduction to baking and decorating. If you have ever oohed and aahed over professionally iced cakes, cupcakes and cookies and wondered just how and why they tick all the right boxes of appearance and taste, then this is the class for you. Learn all the skills needed to bake to a professional standard. You will do everything under our expert guidance - baking mouth watering cakes, cupcakes and cookies to our tried and tested recipes, right down to layering and covering your goodies with buttercream and/or ganache.
Class runs from 10am - 4.30pm.
In this five day cake baking course, you will learn:
- Learn the details that matter when baking professionally
- Bake two different kinds of cake - lemon and chocolate
- Learn how to make basic sugar flowers, including mini roses, daisies and leaves
- Learn how to make Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- Learn the secret art of cake flavouring and perfect buttercream making
- Use simple floral decorations under the expert guidance of our tutor to transform even the simplest of cakes cafe proud!
- Learn how to make dark chocolate ganache using the best quality chocolate and fresh cream
- Learn how to work with flavoured sugar syrup to moisten your baked cakes and enhance flavours
- Learn how to decorate your cakes - with chocolate ganache (with sharp edges), with buttercream (cafe/patisserie style) and fondant (for weddings)
- Learn how to cover a ganache covered cake with fondant (sugarpaste) and get sharp edges
- Learn how to bake cupcakes and decorate them buttercream piping and cut out sugar flowers
- Learn how to bake cookies and cover them with fondant and decorate them... these make gorgeous wedding favours
- Learn what sets apart professionals from hobbyists
- Learn how to cover a dummy cake with ease – this is especially important to make display cakes for consultations, magazine shoots etc.
- Learn how to dowel a two tiered cake and arrange this on an iced board for that perfect professional look (chocolate cakes
- Baking chocolate and lemon cakes, vanilla cupcakes and cookies
- Layering large cakes, perfect for wedding cakes
- Masking with buttercream and ganache, two very different skills
- Covering cake with ganache - this is the hottest new trend to sweep the cake industry, fast becoming a pre-requisite for any cake business
- Covering ganached cake with fondant and achieve sharp edges - see above!
- Getting sharp edges - another pre-requisite, this style is much in demand
- Piping buttercream onto cupcakes
- Covering cookies with fondant
- Making simple blossom (daisies, leaves etc.)
- Making simple roses
You will take home:
- 1 two tiered cake covered in fondant and decirated with sugar flowers
- 1 celebration cake covered in swiss meringue buttercream
- 6 cupcakes piped with buttercream
- 6 cookies covered in fondant and decorated
All ingredients and equipment, including transport boxes, for your cake course are provided, you do not need to bring anything with you. Please note that you will be encouraged to work at your own speed. This class is ideally suited for beginners as we will cover the basics of baking. The teacher will ensure that you work at a pace suitable for you.
If in doubt about your suitability for this class, please call us on 0208 305 1756 to discuss before you book a place. Teachers for each day are subject to change.
Please note that pictures are for illustrative purposes only.
Please bring a note pad and pen to the class. We encourage you to ask as many questions as possible during the class. Please do not use lunchtime or time after class for questions, you teacher will need a break!
If you would like, you can bring a large bag to carry your cakes home. We provide sturdy cardboard boxes, but you may find it easier to carry your cakes in a bag such as an Ikea bag.
Please double check the date that you wish to make the booking as there will be no refunds for cancellations. In the unlikely event that we cancel a class, a full refund will be offered. Please do read our Terms and Conditions on this website (find link at the bottom of each web page) before booking a class. For further details, please email email@example.com or call 0208 305 1756.